Verwood Concert Brass was started by Mr
Jesse Shearing in 1864 when it was known as "Verwood
In 1929 they took part in the first Verwood Carnival and
still continue the tradition today. The Band was
associated with the village brickworks and from the 1920`s
until 1994 were based at the TOC "H" Hut at the site of
the present Band Hall in Moorland Road. Due to wise
leadership in the past the freehold belongs to the current
Verwood Concert Brass which gives a sound financial base
to continue into the future.
The name of the band became "Verwood Prize Band" in 1930
and the present name was adopted in 1976. Once featuring
in the Championship Section the current Band is working
their way back up achieving promotion to the 3rd Section
in 2007 and promotion to the 2nd Section in January 2009.
The band has performed at the National Brass Band Finals
of Great Britain on six occasions, the last being
September 2008. The band competed at the 3rd Section
National finals held in Harrogate and gained a very
respectable 2nd placing.
The Band became a registered charity in
November 2011 - registration number 1144224